Illinois Route 4 Site of Fatal Trucking Accident
Earlier today, our Illinois accident attorneys read a report on KSDK.com detailing a fatal Illinois trucking accident that took the life of a passenger vehicle driver. According to local Illinois authorities, a passenger vehicle was traveling southbound on Illinois Route 4 near Weber Road when the vehicle crossed the center line of the roadway and collided head-on into a semi truck. The collision resulted in the immediate fatality of the passenger vehicle driver, while the driver of the large commercial vehicle remained unharmed.
A subsequent accident resulted shortly thereafter involving an SUV and a pickup truck who were trying to avoid the first accident which the vehicles collided head-on. The drivers of both vehicles required advanced medical attention for non-life threatening injuries. Our Chicago accident lawyers read that authorities are continuing to remind drivers to driver with extreme caution due to the inclement weather conditions.
In order to avoid a recurrence of a devastating accident on our busy Illinois roadways, our accident lawyers in Chicago encourage readers to follow important and life saving tips for driving in the snow and ice provide by WeatherChannel.com:
Tips for Driving Safely on Icy Roads:
- Lower your speed and give yourself plenty of room in between vehicles in order to stop. Rule of thumb is to allow at least three times more space than usual between you and the vehicle in front of you
- Brake slowly in order to avoid skidding. If your wheels began to lock up, let off the brake
- Turn on your headlights to increase your visibility to others
- Keep your headlights and windshields clean
- Never pass snow plows or sanding trucks.
- Use low gears in order to keep traction, especially on hills
- Remain especially careful on bridges, overpasses, as well as infrequently traveled roads.
- Never assume that your motor vehicle can handle all conditions. Even four-wheel and front-wheel drive vehicles can encounter issues during winter weather
Given the upcoming months of severe weather and snow, every Illinois accident lawyer and Levin & Perconti continues to encourage safe driving habits for drivers of all types of motor vehicles. If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident or have lost a loved one at the hands of a negligent driver, please contact our experienced Chicago truck accident lawyers to see what legal rights and relief may be available to you.