On the breezy afternoon of October 11 2016, just after 4:00 p.m., a child was struck by a tractor-trailer. The tractor-trailer was headed south on Main Street in New Boston, Illinois. This child allegedly entered the road seconds before being hit by the truck. He sustained life-threatening injuries. Once hit, the child was rushed to a local hospital and was then airlifted to another hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Thousands of deaths occur every year from people crossing the roadways. Sometimes the accident is at the fault of the driver and not the pedestrian. For instance, sometimes the accident occurs because the approaching vehicle is traveling too fast, is distracted, is drunk/impaired, is sleeping, or for other negligent behavior.
If you or your loved one sustains an injury related to the foregoing, you may be entitled to compensation for the resulting damages. To increase your chances at a successful claim, it is important that you contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation.
The Dangers of crossing the Street
Crossing the street is a very dangerous and serious undertaking. According to Every Body Walk, an excess of 4,500 pedestrians are killed, each and every year, by being hit by a vehicle while simply attempting to cross the street. Furthermore, per the National Complete Streets Coalition (NCSC), 16 times more individuals are killed while crossing the street than national disasters throughout the same time frame. NCSC also found that, on average, there is an additional 68,000 people who are injured every year while attempting to cross a street or highway. NCSC found that the victims of these accidents are normally children, the elderly and people of color.
How to safely cross the Street
If you are the parent of a child, it is very important that you teach your child how to safely cross the street. This following list is also important for your own benefit. To safely cross the street, it is very important that you:
- Cross the street only at the end, or at the corners of the street. At these locations, you should cross by walking across a marked crosswalk (if there is one). Sometimes there may be a marked crosswalk in the center of the road. Be careful when walking across these.
- Press the button to cross the street. By pressing this button, the white hand will appear when it is appropriate for you to cross the street. Not all crossings have these buttons. Once the walk signal comes on, please note that you should still ensure that no vehicles are approaching. Ensure all the vehicles are stopped before proceeding. Proceed with caution.
- Make eye contact with any approaching vehicles before you begin crossing the street. This will help ensure that the driver(s) are aware of you.
- Walk facing traffic when there is no sidewalk.
- Wear bright colors that are easy to see in the dark.
If you are hit by a tractor-trailer, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. This compensation may include, but is not limited to, medical expenses, lost wages, emotional distress and loss pain and suffering. However, you must be able to at least prove that the tractor-trailer driver was negligent in causing the accident. An attorney can help you through this complex process and ensure a timely filing pursuant to our statute of limitations rules.
Take Action and hire an Attorney for your Case
If you were involved in an accident with a tractor-trailer and now suffer injuries, it is imperative that you hire an experienced personal injury attorney. The Illinois personal injury lawyers at Levin & Perconti have the experience needed to aggressively take on your case. Call us today at (312) 332-2872 or toll free (877) 374-1417 to schedule a FREE consultation.